Friday, September 10, 2010

Searching for Strength


On the 10th, I woke up, said goodbye to JT, and headed toward Fayetteville. It still took me forever to get on the road in the morning. I didn't get out of Harrison until 10. One of these days I won't be friggin slow, one of these days...
That day I had another long ride through hills, although they weren't at steep as the days before. But, I had to make it over 75 miles in one day. And I had a headwind from time to time, something that I try not to despise whenever it appears. It's so easy to get frustrated and irritated at the wind, and even channel it at God, when there's a headwind impeding your progress making every stroke you take that much harder. It was definitely a challenge to keep a positive attitude, and I'm not going to say that I didn't swear at the wind from time to time. But the sun was out, which always energizes me.

Third Day
But, it was slow going all day, and I was tired from the days before. And the mile markers didn't seem to pass near as quickly as the days before. But, I was determined to be in Fayetteville by nightfall to meet my friends Ian and Steph Fraiser, and I really didn't want to call him and have him bail me out. (I'm stubborn, what can I say?) But, even though it was hard, mentally, emotionally, physically, and spiritually, God still sustained me to get there, in ways that I don't understand. Towards the end of the day, with about 20 miles left to ride and legs wanting to give up, my spirits mysteriously lifted and my body got a little boost, and I had strength to finish to Fayetteville before sundown. I'm not sure, but maybe God was subtly giving me strength to finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment