Sunday, October 3, 2010

Last Stretch of Kansas

After Dodge, I headed west, going through Garden City to Lakin. Definitely a more uplifting day, with a slight tailwind in the afternoon, letting me cruise into Lakin. In Garden, I went to a tortilleria, and got some amazing, fresh, corn tortillas. Ah! Nothing like it. I went back later because I accidentally ate my first pound of tortillas in one sitting.
But, even cooler than that, I met a Honduran woman at the tortilleria who works at one of the meat packing plants in  Garden City. I had read some about the horrendous conditions and strenuous demands on the laborers in those plants, actually right before I left for this trip. But, talking with her, I got to hear her perspective, optimistic and encouraging about working at a meat packing plant. She was happy to have the opportunity and felt great about how she was treated, as opposed to the horrible news that you hear on muck-racking exposes. It was refreshing to talk to her, that certain sides of our society are functioning well, and she was so encouraging to me going on this trek.
After Garden, I made it to Lakin, and camped in the park for the night. The next day, I went fishing south of town, trying to catch my dinner, with a ghetto fishing pole, made out of a wooden stick I found on the side of the road. No dice this time. But, it was  good day to rest and pray. Getting ready for a long week, uphill, to get to Denver. Woo!

4 comments:

  1. I suppose there's only 50 million JBU people in Denver right now--but you should look up Seth & Caroline if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ghetto fishing pole doesn't adequately describe this "fishing pole". It's a small stick that you tied fishing line to. Let's be honest Ryan... haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, I'm digging the beard dude. So glad you didn't take a razor with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. sooo, I just found your blog and I think it's awesome. Also, I was born in Garden City and spent many a summer in that area. And the packing plant? My dad worked there when it was owned by Monfort before he was transferred to Greeley. WEIRD. Blessings on your journey, Ryan. May the Lord continue to help you grow.

    ReplyDelete